Have you ever wondered how you are suppose to eat a pomegranate?
The pomegranate is a large red fruit filled with delicious, tart seeds called arils. These arils can sometimes be tedious to remove, so if you have the opportunity to eat a pomegranate you’ll want to use the most efficient method possible. In order to get the greatest number of arils out of your pomegranate quickly, follow theses simple steps:
1. Take a knife and cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the pomegranate, where the stem is. Your goal is to lop off the stem and a thick layer of the skin, without cutting into too many of the dark-red arils. If you cut too little the first time, you can always take more off.
2. Slice through only the skin from top to bottom on both sides, starting with the top where you have already cut. Do not stab the knife too deeply into the pomegranate during this step, the skin is thinner around the middle of the fruit.
3. Now, stick your knife into the darker center of the top of the pomegranate, where the stem was. Your blade should be along an imaginary line formed between the two places where you cut through the skin. Push it in half way and use it to lever the fruit apart.
4. Fill a large bowl with water and immerse the parts of the open pomegranate. The bitter white meat will float, while the arils will sink to the bottom, allowing you to separate them more easily.
5. Pull apart the pomegranate methodically and let the arils collect in the bottom of the bowl. Skim off the white rind that collects and throw it away, along with any brown or rotten arils.
That’s it, you’ve collected the edible part of the pomegranate. If you haven’t already eaten them, the arils store well in the refrigerator in a plastic container. They can also be made into a healthy frozen treat, although they become mushy once thawed again. However you choose to eat them, pomegranate seeds are an exotic, beautiful, and flavorful treat.
Video showing another way to eat a pomegranate