The concept of the Fountain of Youth dates back hundreds of years. Although it’s only a legend, the simple truth is humans have always been interested in preserving their youth. From exercising to avoiding excessive sunlight to taking anti-aging supplements, almost everyone is doing something to stay young, but most people overlook one of the most effective tools for slowing the aging process: food.
The foods we eat absolutely affect how we look and the way our body functions. By eating the right foods, you can look better, feel younger, and have a stronger, healthier mind. What are the best foods for keeping you young? Read on to find out.
- Cocoa—I will bet you had no idea how many cocoa health benefits there were! Did you know that cocoa powder has almost twice the amount of antioxidants as red wine? It also has nearly three times the amount found in green tea. These antioxidants offer numerous anti-aging benefits, helping to prevent many diseases and keeping your mind sharp. To get the most benefits from chocolate, you should eat dark chocolate as milk chocolate has fewer of these antioxidants.
- Almonds—The Food and Drug Administration has released studies suggesting daily consumption of almonds could reduce the risk of heart disease. But that’s not all. Almonds also have healthy fatty acids that can help your nails stay strong and look their best. The result? You stay healthier, and the antioxidants and healthy fats keep you feeling and looking your best.
- Olive oil—It seems like every day you hear about more benefits associated with olive oil. Olive oil contains heart-healthy fats that can help prevent diseases and keep you feeling your very best. Some scientists even claim olive oil can help prevent cancer. This antioxidant-rich compound is also a feature ingredient in many beauty products as it helps to keep you looking young.
- Yogurt—Yogurt offers a wide range of health benefits, but perhaps the most important benefit is that it strengthens your immune system. A strong immune system means fewer illnesses and just less wear and tear on your body. The calcium in yogurt can also help keep you strong, further working to preserve your youth.
- Cranberries—The cranberry is pretty remarkable. These little berries are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids have been found to have various anti-cancer, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties, meaning they can basically help you stay healthier and stronger. Cranberries are also jam-packed with antioxidants, fighting off damage done to the body by free radicals and pollutants we’re exposed to every day. Cranberry extract is a popular ingredient in skin renewal products.
- Fish—There’s a reason fish oil supplements have become so popular. Fish contain omega-3 fatty acids which work to clear out your arteries, improve heart health, and even improve brain function. The best fish varieties are wild salmon, tilapia, mahi mahi, and whitefish. Try to keep fish as a part of your regular diet so you can ward off heart disease and preserve your youth.
- Soybeans—Soybeans have numerous heart-healthy fasts, proteins, and fibers that can keep your heart and mind performing at optimal levels. Soybeans have been said to help diabetes, aid in growth in development, prevent mental fatigue, energize the brain, and fight cholesterol. But be sure to buy non-GMO soybeans.
- Blueberries—Blueberries have extraordinarily high antioxidant levels. It’s pretty difficult to find any other food that can match it. The antioxidants in blueberries work to destroy free radicals. What are free radicals? These are the substances many believe cause aging in the body. Evidence seems to suggest that an antioxidant-rich diet can slow the aging process, and with the high levels of antioxidants in blueberries, you could get the maximum anti-aging benefits.
- Grapes—Grapes provide a comprehensive range of health benefits. They have polyphenols, which can be helpful in preventing cancer and heart disease. Grapes are also rich in antioxidants, so you’ll enjoy the anti-aging benefits every time you consume grapes or grape juice. Some studies have even found that grapes can prevent skin cancer, keeping your skill cells healthy and smooth.
The key to getting the most of these foods is to enjoy them regularly with a sensible diet. If you eat these alongside foods that are bad for you, you’ll never get the full results you hope for. You should also exercise regularly to further protect yourself against aging.
How many of these 9 foods are a regular part of your diet? What other foods do you think help with preserving youth?
Photo by J.C. Rojas